EPIC Thought of The Day – The Technical Presentation Personality
I remember one time sitting in front of a client and I was communicating with them… I was doing my normal style, I’m quite an expressive communicator.
And so I use a lot of hand gestures and I was using a lot of strong eye contact and I was leaning forward and I realised my client was leaning further and further back and I found that I was intimidating this particular client.
This is a huge mistake and I recognised this and I had to pull back.
I realised I was dealing with someone who was a Technical Presentation Personality. They don’t get high on relationship, they get high on detail. They can often appear reserved, somewhat timid… very quiet.
They focus on the detail all the time. They ask a lot of questions and they study specifications. In other words, they want to know the detail of what was happening before they even begin to contemplate considering an action.
But I’m an Expressive Presentation Personality.
When I got excited and I often lean forward… I become demonstrative and this type of presentation can intimidate someone who is… not so expressive.
You will know this when they start to pull back… well, I had to learn that this type of audience member really needs to have a bit more subdued Eugene.
So here’s some advice I am going to give you… my though of the day…
- Listen carefully to them.
- Answer their questions calmly but more than anything else.
- Sit back in your seat. Don’t lean forward and become aggressive.
- Use strong supporting materials and slow everything down, alright, slow it down.
- Be thorough, remember, include all the necessary and relevant information that you need because you are dealing with someone who is technical in their presentation personality.
You will become an Epic Presenter if you take heed to the tips that I have given you today.
You can discover more information on how to become an EPIC Presenter by clicking here.